Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Art of Conversation

It's funny, we don't really think about conversation being so much of an art as it is essential to our being. I witness two gentlemen having a conversation on the bus and had to stop myself from the church giggles. The more I tried to mind my own business, the more I became an uninvited third party. It seems both of these men were trying to communicate the same thing to each other, yet they kept over talking each other completely oblivious to the fact that one already stated what the other had said. I witnessed what should of been a simple, "I'm going to that electronic equipment store up by...." turn into a 20 min verbal spar.
Now before you say why aren't you minding your own business, I can't help it...really! I think people watching is like a sport. I seriously enjoy watching people interact with their surrounding. I guess that Sociology degree didn't go to waste after all (that's for you Mom and Dad).

So in watching these men it made me realize how often we have conversations with the sole agenda of ourselves being heard. Do we really stop and listen to the other person or do we merely wait for them to take a breath before we decide ok, my turn? 

Ummm.... this week I am going to practice the art of conversation. I have a meeting at work so what better time to put it to the test; however, knowing how meetings function at work, perhaps practicing the art of paying attention should be in order as well.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At April 1, 2011 at 6:42 AM , Blogger James said...

Each culture looks at conversation a lot differently, I think that Americans tend to wait for their turn to repeat their ideas, rather than collaborate on what is being said.

 
At May 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I know late response lol! but your right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home